BSC Designer is a performance management software. It supports the Balanced Scorecard framework, which according to yearly studies continues to be one of the most popular strategic planning and execution business tools.
The heart of the Balanced Scorecard is a strategy map. BSC Designer allows designing state of the art strategy maps representing business objectives linked by a cause-and-effect connection:
The strategy map plays the role of a performance management and monitoring dashboard for a top manager:
- There are four perspectives suggested by the Balanced Scorecard approach.
- Each of the perspective contains a business objective linked with each-other by a cause and effect connection.
- KPIs attached to business goals measure their performance and the progress towards expected results.
- The stop-light of the KPI indicates the current performance and progress levels.
- Business goals are linked to detailed action plans.
How do executives use this strategy map?
- It helps to align actions with business goals that help employees to switch from an “I am doing my job” approach to “helping a company achieve its stated objectives.” Learn more about alignment.
- Executives use a strategy map to monitor current performance and to track their progress towards planned business objectives. For this purpose in BSC Designer there are KPIs and Dashboard tabs. Learn how to do this in BSC Designer.
- A strategy map allows you to see a big picture of what is happening in the company, why it happens, and what the company does about it, e.g. a strategy map helps to execute a business strategy.
- As a result a strategy map helps to execute a business strategy and helps to engage employees of the company
Building a strategy map in BSC Designer
A strategy map in BSC Designer is not just a drawing tool, what you see on the strategy map is a representation of the data that you can access at any time.
The KPI tab is designed to manage Key Performance Indicators.
For each KPI in BSC Designer it is possible to:
- Enter KPI value manually for specific date
- Access data from Excel or SQL database
- Choose an optimization direction for a KPI
- Monitor current performance of KPI
- Show the progress towards achieving business goals is within the expected range
- Warn about important changes with a stop light or email notification
- Attach an action plan as an initiative.
Business Goals tab provides access to business objectives.
BSC Designer allows you to:
- Specify cause and effect connections between business objectives. Learn how.
- Attach a KPI or add an initiative to the business objective. Learn how.
- Choose the way all of the elements are displayed on the strategy map
Get business data in BSC Designer
It doesn’t matter why you use KPIs – to monitor a current business performance or to control a business improvement; you need to get your business data into BSC Designer. While some executives prefer to manage a manual data entry into KPIs, BSC Designer software can read your data directly from an MS Excel file or access an external database using a SQL indicator.
Another approach is to specify a custom formula for the value of a KPI. The value can be a sum or an average of other KPIs. The formula is available for performance function as well, by default the performance is a line function of min, max and value, but experienced business analytics may customize it as well.
Teamwork with BSC Designer
When your performance management and monitoring project grows, even more people will get involved. BSC Designer is ready for this task as well. BSC Designer allows creating cascading scorecards; notify involved users about important changes, and helps to share your Balanced Scorecard with others.
Reports for the Balanced Scorecard
Your employees can have a direct access to the Balanced Scorecard or they can check out important information in a report generated by BSC Designer. There are various types of reports available. The most popular one is an HTML report that helps to share the Balanced Scorecard information with employees or the data from the Balanced Scorecard can be exported into MS Excel file with all the formulas.
Also, BSC Designer helps with a Balanced Scorecard presentation, the most important details of the project can be exported in MS PowerPoint presentation.
Switching from MS Excel
If you ask a business person where his business data is now, most likely the answer will be in an “MS Excel Spreadsheets.” Excel is a must-have business tool these days. Unfortunately, it is not really suitable for the Balanced Scorecard. Although it is possible to design some KPIs and even a strategy map in Excel, it is too complicated to design and update.
Excel is great to design some prototype of a Balanced Scorecard that you are looking for. The next step is to switch to the Balanced Scorecard software.
Don’t worry about your data. BSC Designer can connect directly to the Excel Spreadsheet and read data from it.
User-friendly interface for the Balanced Scorecard
We invested a lot of time in designing a better GUI for BSC Designer and we are always looking for ways to simplify things. There are many users who reported their experience with BSC Designer as “easy to use,” “helps a novice,” “user-friendly,” “intuitive tool.”
Some of our users even say that BSC Designer helped them to understand the Balanced Scorecard concept better:
BSC Designer and its competitors
What are the major benefits of BSC Designer compared to competitors? We believe that it provides all of the Balanced Scorecard automation and functionality in a user-friendly manner. Some of our customers explained that their decision to use BSC Designer was based on the easy implementation process (no database or complicated installation required) and as a result there is easy maintenance.
Get BSC Designer desktop and web-based
BSC Designer is available as a Windows desktop software, as well as a web-based service that is accessible from any browser and device, including smart phones and tables.
BSC Designer doesn’t require an installation of any database, it presents the Balanced Scorecard projects as simple files that one can store on a local disk or upload to the web-based edition of BSC Designer.
One can download and try all of the functions of BSC Designer for a 30-day period. No credit cards are asked, and we don’t ask to fill in one page long forms either.