How to build performance formula with BSC Designer
BSC Designer calculates the performance of indicator according to its current value and the performance function.
After the installation BSC Designer offers two performance functions: maximization (when higher “value” means higher performance) and minimization (when lower “value” mean higher performance) both are linear.
- BSC Designer Manual – How to change performance formula
When designing KPIs business professional might need some sophisticated, non-linear functions for the performance. Performance formulas in BSC Designer can be customized with Formula Editor.
To access Formula Builder:
- Run BSC Designer. Create new indicator or select existent one.
- Find “Optimization” field at the bottom and click Performance Editor button:
- Formula Builder dialog will appear
Let’s look at every element that could be used in this builder.
There are 5 variables in BSC Designer that can be used in formulas:
- Min value = mn (builder syntax);
- Max value = mx (builder syntax);
- Target value = target (builder syntax);
- Baseline value = baseline (builder syntax);
- Score Value = value (builder syntax).
Formula Builder supports Basic mathematical operations: “+”, “-”, “*”, “/”.
Click the button “Function” in the Formula Builder to have a list of supported mathematical functions:
- Sin (a) – The sine trigonometry function.
- Cos (a) – The cosine trigonometry function.
- Tan (a) - The tangent trigonometry function.
- Power (a, b) – Exponentiation with the base of “a” and the exponent of “b”.
For example: power (2, 4) = 16;
- Exp (a) – Exponentiation with the base of “e”-number and the exponent of “a”.
- Sqrt (a) – Square root. Exponentiation with the base of “a” and the exponent of “0.5”.
- Pi – the function returns the value of pi-number.
- Min (a, b) – The function selects the smallest among two numbers.
- Max (a, b) – The function selects the biggest among two numbers.
For example: Min (3, 5) = 3; Max (3, 5) = 5;
By default the formula field contains linear formula of maximization ((Score – mn) / (mx – mn)) or minimization ((mx – Score) / (mx – mn)). The formula can be modified and might contain any combination of available functions and variables. Some examples are listed below:
Conditions in the performance formula
There are also special conditions available for the variable called “value”. User can define different optimization functions for different intervals of the “value”. To define function for the certain interval:
- Run “Formula Builder”.
- Click on “Add Condition” button.
- Enter new function.
- Define the interval for this function below.
For more information:
- Check “How to build performance formula with BSC Designer” in BSC Designer manual