- Below is an old video about time points in BSC Designer. There is a new version of the video that explains all the details about KPIs, including the details about time points.
The Balanced Scorecard is not a static document. It changes over time: the values of the indicators change, their weights change, the total performance of the scorecard changes. BSC Designer allows you to define time points to measure and manage these changes.
Each indicator on your scorecard has a current value. When you select an indicator on your Strategy Tree, its current value will be displayed in the Value field.
Indicators and Time Points
The value of an indicator is not fixed; it can and should change over time. Therefore, BSC Designer allows you to define not just one value for each indicator, but the value of the indicator on any particular date.
You can use the calendar in BSC Designer to track how these values change.
- If a date appears on the calendar in boldface type, that means that at least one of your indicators, somewhere on your scorecard, has a specific value for that particular date.
- If a date appears in normal type, then none of your indicators have special values for that date.
You can also click on the calendar to see the value of a particular indicator on that date.
|Exact Value||Last Known Value||No Known Value|
|If the indicator you chose has a specific value for the date you chose, the Value field appears in blue.||If this indicator does not have a specific value for the date you chose, BSC Designer will show you the last known value of the indicator. In this case, “Value” appears in gray.||If you have not defined any date-specific values for this indicator, “Value” will appear in black.|
Changing an Indicator’s Value
There are several ways to change the value of an indicator on your Balanced Scorecard.
- Enter the data manually. Just select the indicator, and enter its new value in the “Value” field.
- Use the Value Editor. Open the Strategy Tree menu and select “Edit Values” to access the Value Editor. Here, you will see all of the time points you have defined, and all of the indicator’s settings for each one: its weight, min and max values, baseline and target values, and its current value. You can edit any of these values, or even Add or Delete new time points at the bottom.
- Import data from an external data source. For instance, BSC Designer supports Imported Indicators and SQL Indicators.