Power KPI with the Results of Surveys in BSC Designer
In some cases the value of the KPI is not taken from a database, but is based on the opinion of several experts.
In BSC Designer this data source that is called "Data series,"
it will help to enter the results of survey, calculate an average score, and track it over time.
Here are the steps to use the "Data series."
- Create a new indicator where the value should be calculated according to the type of survey. For example: 'Product Quality' might be determined according to the interview with several end customers or experts.
- Click "Data source" button and select "Data Series" as a data source option.
- "Data series" tab will appear in the list of the tabs below.
- In the "Group" drop list select a group "Default" or create a new group. The group is the name of the survey that we want to conduct.
- Use the "Add series" button to add an appropriate number of series. For example: if you interviewed 3 experts then you need 3 series. You can use experts' names for the names of series. To rename existing series you need to double click on it in the table.
- One of the columns in the "Data series" table is named "Active," it defines what data the software will show for this indicator on KPIs tab.
- Enter the data for KPI in "Data series" or switch to the KPIs tab and enter the data into the "value" field of active KPI.
- Repeat two previous steps for other experts
- Go to the "Data series" tab and check "Active" radio box for the "Group result" raw.
- The "Value" of an indicator is now calculated as an average of expert scores
Following these steps one can add interview/survey data in KPI in BSC Designer.
Here are some useful tips and tricks for this function:
- You can still use time points. It means that you can interview experts regularly (monthly or quarterly), enter the data for each interview session and see how expert opinion is changed over the time.
- You might want to use customer measure units, in that case experts won't need to come up with a score, but will be able to give their opinion on the scale from "Bad" to "Excellent" or some other custom scale.
- One series group can be associated with many indicators, e.g. you might want to ask experts about "product quality" and "customer service quality."
- To calculate the group value the software use indicator's grouping type.
- In the menu "Reports > KPI Reports" there is a special "Series" report.
- On the top of Series dialog you can find the "Chart" tab. Use it to display some trends related to the survey that you have done.