Initiatives and Action Plans
action plan is an important part of any business scorecard. We can have
KPIs, business goals, and strategy maps, but the final and the most
important step is always an action. BSC Designer allows you to align
any business goal or indicator with an initiative.
An initiative in BSC Designer might be:
- a simple text comment,
- a link to some important document, or
- a key information about the specific time and budget
Some member of your team will work according to the
defined plan. BSC Designer allows you to specify a person responsible
and make sure that this person receives important notifications about
an indicator and receives
updates on an indicator's value on a regular
In the interface of the program initiatives are marked with a
"clipboard" icon. There are several ways to access an initiative:
- You can go to the "Business goals" tab, select there
any business objective and click the "Initiatives" button.
indicator on the "KPIs" tab has an "Initiatives" button as well. This
button allows you to start an "Initiatives" dialog for an indicator.
All items that already have an initiatives aligned with them are marked
with an "initiative" icon. You can click onto this icon to access the
- For example, on the strategy map BSC
Designer visualizes initiatives with the same "initiative" icon. You
can double click onto this icon to view existing initiatives.
In the "Initiatives" dialog you have:
- "Scorecard item" drop box that displays a business
objective or an indicator that we are working with now.
- The list of initiatives aligned with selected business objective or indicator.
- Controls that allow adding new initiatives or
modifying existent ones.
An initiative in BSC Designer can have certain settings.
- Name of the initiative will be used to identify initiative on the strategy map and in the list of initiatives.
- Details field is a place for some text notes. Use "More..." menu to make a time-specific note, or align a note to some chart with chart tag.
- Budget and Timeline initiatives (available for business goals only) allow
you to specify the budget associated with this business objective or the time needed to execute some sort
of action plan. Later you can use the "Budget and duration report" command
in the "Reports" menu to generate a report that will summarize the budget
and timeline details for your scorecard project.
- Person responsible option allows selecting a person responsible and creating automatic notifications. For
example, you might want to send a notification to a person responsible
when an indicator is in the red zone or a new initiative was added.
- File and URL buttons in the Document section allow aligning some local or web-based documents with the initiative.
- In the "More..." menu there are "Add Google Task" and "Add Google Calendar"
options that you can use to create a new task or event for selected
business objective or indicator. BSC Designer will save your time and
fill in some details about business objectives or an indicator for you.
a business scorecard project one might have many initiatives associated
with indicators or business objectives. Sometimes it is necessary to
have a list of all of these initiatives together with important details
and names of the persons responsible. To create this list you can use
the "Initiatives report" command in the "Reports" menu.
Designer allows you to choose what initiatives you'd like to see in
this report. You can create just a list of all of the initiatives
sorted by date or you can generate a report with all of the business
objectives and indicators from your project together with the details
about all of the existing initiatives.
If your project is big
one, you can choose to generate this report for some specific branch.
For example, you can generate this report for initiatives from a
"Financial" perspective only.
Initiatives in BSC Designer are a
great way to keep a track of all of your important action plans and
action reports. You don't need to have here a detailed log of
everything that is happening in your company, as we are sure that you
have your favorite teamwork tools for this. But you can add some
important details that will help your team to make a right decision
about business objectives and indicators.