Strategy Maps in BSC Designer
Check out video
manual for strategy maps.
strategy map is a great business tool that helps to share the big
picture of your business challenges with your team. A properly designed
strategy map explains a business context, helps to communicate your
strategy, and is a base for the discussion of a company's
map in BSC Designer is not just a simple drawing or presentation tool.
It visualizes business goals, connections between them, and aligned
a business scorecard project you can have many maps:
- One can be a "big picture" of your strategy,
- Another might be a performance dashboard for various
- You can have business process maps.
more time-consuming designs using presentation software! Those maps
have no live data for indicators, and are hard to maintain! In the
contrast, maps in BSC Designer can be created almost automatically and
visualize all the data you need.
a new strategy map
create a new strategy map follow these steps:
- Go to the "Strategy Map" tab.
- Click "Add strategy map" button.
using various automation features that Map
Wizard suggests, let's start with a blank map:
- Use toolbar to create new objects like:
- Text box,
- Rectangle, or
- Choose more drawing shapes from the drop down
- Add to the map a logo of your company using an "image"
new objects are fully customizable:
- Double click onto the object to change its text
- Use the object's properties on the right to change:
- Text alignment,
- Shadow and gradient,
- Rotation angle, and
- Font settings.
- Any two objects on the map can be linked using several link
business goals and KPIs
now, BSC Designer was used as a classical drawing tool. Now, let's add
some live data.
- Use "Add Business Goal" button to have a copy of a business
goal on the map.
- Use "Show indicators" property to switch the display of
aligned indicators and initiatives.
- Use "Add KPI" button to visualize some of the indicators
that are relevant to the map.
- Switch to the "compact mode" and change the "glyph" using
the properties panel.
resulting map is not just a nice diagram that can be created in any
presentation software, but is a live map with business objectives,
initiative, and indicators.
- If the values of indicators are updated, the KPIs on the
strategy map will be updated as well.
- You can double click onto any indicator or business goal to
go to the details.
this way you can create business process maps, and add some indicators
that visualize control points of these processes.
are some maps that BSC Designer can create automatically using the data
about business objectives, their connections, and aligned KPIs.
- Start Strategy Map Wizard
- Choose "Balanced Scorecard" option
- Click "Execute" button.
the new map there are four perspectives that correspond to the top
level objectives from the "Business goals" tab.
- Each perspective includes some business goals.
- These business goals are linked with
- Some goals have a KPI and an action plan aligned with them.
- Goals that belong to the different strategic themes use different color coding.
- Double click onto the business goal item to go to the
details of the business goal.
- Customize the links between business goals using
"Contributes to" and "Contributed by" fields
- Use "Display on strategy map" check box if you don't want
to visualize certain goals
- Select aligned indicator to define the way that it is
visualized on the strategy map.
- Associate business goal with a specific strategic theme.
the details about the "Business goal" tab were explained in the
respective section of the manual. You can continue using the
"Business Goals" tab, or you can go back to the "Strategy map" tab and
start managing your business goals directly from
- To add a new business goal, select some existing business
- Press the "Enter" key on your keyboard, or
- Click the "Add business goal" button on the toolbar
- The "Parent" property shows where the new goal will be
- The "Contributes to" property shows the linkage between the
new goal and other goals.
- As a result:
- The new goal will appear on the map next to the
- The cause-and-effect connection will be visualized.
can also use "link" buttons to define relationships between goals.
Create a new link, BSC Designer will ask if you want to create a
- If you answer "No" then you will just have a visual link.
- If you answer "Yes" then "contributes to" and "contributed
by" fields of respective objects will be updated.
the example with the business process map we added a stand-alone KPI to
a strategy map. Another way to visualize a KPI on the map is to "align"
an indicator with a business goal.
- Select any business goal, then select the "Align with a
KPI" option in the "Add KPI" menu on the toolbar.
Designer will display all of the KPIs that are available in the project
and have not been aligned with any business goal yet.
- Confirm the choice to start displaying indicators in the
area below a business goal.
changes are made to the business goals, BSC Designer will ask your
permission to update a strategy map. When updating, BSC
will clear an old map and build a new one. As a result, it will change
the positions and styles of objects to the default ones, unless
the "Lock" function was
- With the "Lock" function you have an option to lock an
object's position and/or
an object's style
- If you don't want BSC Designer to change anything about an
object, then select this item and click the "Lock" button.
- If you customized an object's appearance, then you might
want to lock the style of
the object only.
map type that BSC Designer can build is a "Map with KPIs."
- Select this map type and then choose one of the
you can associate some KPIs with certain regions on the map:
- Go to the "KPIs" tab,
- Right-click on any KPI, and
- Select the "Link item to the map" option.
list of the regions from the map will appear. For example, we can
associate a selected indicator with "Austria."
- Switch to the "Strategy map" tab. BSC Designer updates the
map and displays the KPIs in a respective region.
for the map with KPIs
create your own map with regions use the toolbar on the right. You will
- Select a picture for "Mapped background"
- Use one of the three buttons on the toolbar to map the
- Now, any KPI can be associated with these new regions
are not limited to geographical maps only. Find
Balanced Scorecard" project in "Samples" of BSC Designer. In
project we used a hotel picture as a mapped background image, and
created specific areas to reflect various processes in a hotel, and
aligned KPIs with them.
Learn more about creating new maps with KPIs.
you don't need a map with all of the details. In this case
choose "Overview" map in the Map Wizard. This map
top level KPIs or business goals only. It is useful if you do a
presentation or need to explain key parts of your strategy to partners
or the press.
the "Others" tab there are maps that BSC Designer can
for KPIs or business goals. The program uses different placement
algorithm for each of the maps.
- In the manual for "KPIs" we were talking about a weight property
of an indicator. It shows the relevant importance of the indicator
compared to other indicators.
is a check box "Pen width for links depends on items weight." If
checked, BSC Designer will visualize indicators with a higher weight
using the thicker links.
the business scorecard is implemented across the company the scorecards
of business units are connected into a cascading scorecard. A typical
situation is when a top level scorecard reads the data from the
department level scorecard. These connections might be complicated and
hard to track.
- "Cascading projects" map in BSC Designer shows all
of the scorecards involved in cascading.
Check out "Cascading" project in the "Samples" folder.
- Open the "Main" project
- The indicators on the "KPIs" tab are taken from other
- Switch to the "Strategy map" tab to check out the
"Cascading projects" map.
"Cascading projects and indicators" map is similar, but includes even
more details about cascading.
strategy map in your business process
BSC Designer strategy maps, business goals, KPIs, and dashboards are
align a map with certain business goal, go to the "Business goals" tab,
select any business goal and click the "Map link" button.
have a copy of some important map on the dashboard, right click onto
any strategy map and select the "Send to dashboard" command.
the "Export" menu you can easily have a copy of your strategy map as a
picture file or create an HTML report.
we take map printing seriously:
- The "Select printable area" command in the "Print" menu
helps to mark the printable part of the map.
the "Print preview" dialog "Find the optimal parameters" and "Page
orientation" controls help to fit your map to the paper size.
you can see, a strategy map in BSC Designer is not just a drawing tool.
It can be an excellent tool to visualize some important business
processes, with business objectives and KPIs. It can serve as a base
for strategy discussions, performance reviews, or a presentation of
your strategic ideas.