Reports in BSC Designer
Check out video manual for
When strategy description is accomplished,
strategy execution just begins. The members of
your team might need to discuss a strategy in the conference room,
report the progress using specific indicators, or work according to
the action plan.
Sometimes, you might need to get a certain projection
of your business scorecard from BSC Designer and share it with
others. Let's check the "Reports" menu to learn more.
HTML report is the most popular way to present data from the
scorecard project. This report focuses on KPIs, their data,
initiatives, and charts.
- When generating a report you can choose the required level of
the details: from a short summary to a report with all of the
initiatives, and data tables.
Also,BSC Designer suggests you to choose a data grouping method:
you can have a report with all of the data; or you can choose to
present a quarterly or yearly summary for the available data.
In the "KPI Report" menu you will find several reports that can
tell different stories about the Indicators from your project:
- KPI Structure Report will present the
indicators as you see them on the KPIs tab without data
- Values Report, in the contrast, this report
contains all of the data and performance stoplights.
- Key Risk Indicators Report summarizes the
estimation of the risk impact and probability over your scorecard
taking into account risk indicators available in the project.
- Data Series Report will show the underlying
details for those indicators that use data series as a source of
Business Goals Report
Business goals report focuses on the "objectives" part of your
business scorecard. For this report you can choose the desired
level of the details:
- Select if you want to have a strategy map in the report;
- Choose what initiatives you want to have: all of them, or only
those that were added recently.
Strategy Map Report
In the Strategy Map Report menu you will find several
- You can create an HTML report with maps that already exist in
your project, or
- Create a report with all of the maps that can be generated
BSC Designer can create reports with:
- Classical Balanced Scorecard Strategy Map,
- Overview map with top level goals and indicators, and
- Cascading strategy map to show the connections between
On the Dashboard in BSC Designer tab you have different views on
the business performance. If you need to share these dashboards
with your team you don't need to make a screenshot and save it to a
picture file. Using Dashboard report you can have a copy of your
dashboards in HTML or PDF formats.
In BSC Designer there are two types of initiatives, respectively
two types of reports:
- There are text initiatives like comments, remarks, and links to
the documents. In this case the report will include the list of
these initiatives and their details.
- There are also initiatives like budget and duration. In this
case BSC Designer calculates the total budget and total time needed
to execute the strategy that was described in the business
MS Excel Report
Sometimes you might not want to educate all of the members of
your team to use BSC Designer; still you want them to have an
access to the KPI scorecard. In this case an MS Excel report might
be a good option. Actually, it is not a report, but a live copy of
your KPI scorecard with all of your data and calculations. One can
change some values in the spreadsheet and the performance figures
will be updated automatically.
MS PowerPoint Report
PowerPoint presentation is a classical format to support a
strategy discussion. The benefit is that you can support your ideas
by some key data from your business scorecard. Here is what a
PowerPoint report offers:
- On the first slide you will see an introduction of your
- On the next slides will be placed the maps from your
- Then you will see the business goals;
- Finally, the presentation will include all the details about
indicators together with some key charts.
There are different ways to customize your reports in BSC
Designer. One of the typical cases is that you need to
comment on some charts. To do this just add a new comment or a
new remark via Initiatives and use one of the chart tags. Your
comment will appear under the selected chart in the reports.
Need to customize your reports more?
- Start with the "Settings" button that is available for some
- If you need to add to the template company's logo or other
data, go to Tools > Application Options > Company Info;
- If you want to customize the way the charts look, go to the
Tools > Application Options > Chart colors tab.
Sharing the report
Excel or PowerPoint reports are created directly in MS Office,
so you can easily save and share them with your team. With
HTML-based reports you have even more flexibility:
- You can save a report to the local disk
- You can publish it on your FTP server and
share the link with your team
- You can print the report directly from BSC
If you need to have a PDF version of the report, then use of one
the PDF printers pre-installed in Windows or download and install a
free one. In this way you will be able to save any report in PDF
Reports in BSC Designer is a great way to share some
important information from your Business Scorecard with all
stakeholders. Download a trial copy of BSC Designer and try the
reports with your own data!