Linking Scorecards Together by KPI with BSC Designer
With BSC Designer, one can access KPI data from other BSC Designer projects.
In this way it is possible to link several scorecards to the main
one. For example, a financial director might be in charge of
developing financial indicators; HR manager might be responsible
for HR-related metric, or a CEO can have key data from several
Storage options for an external project
In order to access KPI data the project should not necessarily be located on a local computer, here are all supported options:
- Recommended: .BSC project file can be stored in BSC Designer Online account (or on the locally installed BSC Designer Server). This option is recommended as in this case it is possible to setup access rights to the whole project or to certain indicators only.
- .BSC project file can be stored on computer's hard disk or on a local network
- .BSC project file can be placed on an FTP server
Here are some important details that one needs to understand about linking to external KPIs:
- Linking is not static; BSC Designer tries to read values
from the external file every time the user opens his scorecard
- A user cannot change the imported values in his scorecard,
he can only change the weight of imported values
- When linking to an external scorecard, time points are also
- Links between various .BSC projects might be visualized on a special type of strategy map.
Getting KPI data from external scorecard
Follow these simple steps:
- Select an indicator or create a new one
- Click "Data source" button
- Select the "Link to BSC project" option
- Select one of the importing option:
Then you should click the "Select" button from the "Step 2" and select the
name of the indicator to be imported.
Once you click OK, you will see the name of the new
indicator on the KPI tab, and you can change its local
name and weight.
- If you wish to link to the local file, select the "From
- If you wish to link to a file located on a web server, select the
- If you wish to link to a file stored on FTP server, select the "FTP" tab
- If you wish to link to a project stored in BSC Designer Online (or BSC Designer Server), select the "BSC Online" tab;
Sometimes it is convenient to "delegate" an indicator or a container with several indicators. In this case BSC Designer will execute two functions:
- 1. It will move selected indicators to a new project,
- 2. It will link back moved indicators to the original project.
The author of the original project will no longer be able to edit the indicators, but it will still be possible to view their values. The owner of the new project will be responsible for updating the indicators' values.
To delegate indicators find the required indicator or container on the KPI tab, right click on it, and select "Export/Delegate menu."
Integration by independent developers
Independent developers can create applications which will help
to integrate scorecards with any business solution.
Here is the list possible parameters:
- %indicator_name% - this is the name of the indicator in the
"parent" scorecard, which initiates importing
- %project_name% - this is the .bsc project name
- %imported_indicator_name% - this is the original name of
the indicator in the "child" scorecard, i.e., the scorecard which is
the source of the imported data.
The following scenario shows how BSC Designer can be integrated
with other applications:
- A software developer can create a program which reads
passed parameters (such as the "name of an indicator") and as a result
creates a simple .bsc file (the .bsc file is in XML format, which is
accessible to third-party developers).
- The user in BSC Designer selects "Run script before import," specifies the application and the necessary parameters, for
instance "script.exe %indicator_name%"
As a result, the program will run the script before reading
data, and the script will create the necessary information to read and
pass it to the user's
Sometime it is a good idea to develop a script and use the
described scheme, but it is also possible to import data using SQL indicators.